Holy Family adheres to the Safe Environment Program of the Diocese of Dallas. The policy directs all volunteers who work with children, youth, and vulnerable adults to be cleared through the Safe Environment Program. Holy Family requires all volunteers to be cleared prior to beginning any volunteer duties.
The program consists of two sets of procedures for training. The first set applies to NEW volunteers, and the second applies to those individuals who continue beyond the first year of volunteer work. The procedures are listed below and should be followed accordingly to prevent delays in becoming cleared.
New volunteers should be active, and registered, members in our parish for at least 6 months before making application to volunteer. Waivers to this requirement can be granted for cleared individuals transferring membership from another parish.
- Make application online by clicking Safe Environment Screening Form
- At the end of the application form, sign any permission forms for background checks to be completed, etc
- Read the Safe Environment Policy Booklet, then print and sign the acknowledgement form on page 20
- Read the Policy on Sexual Misconduct
- Ensure your references respond to email requests for relevant information from the Safety Officer
- Contact the Safety Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time for your face-to-face interview. Bring the printed and signed Policy Acknowledgement Form with you to the interview.
- Attend training for NEW volunteers which includes viewing the DVD entitled, "Family of Faith". This training may be completed at any parish within the Diocese of Dallas, or periodically at Holy Family. If attending another parish for this training, please obtain a certificate of completion and mail/deliver the certificate to the Safety Officer at Holy Family.
- Submit to and clear a criminal background check.
- Wait for the Safety Officer to notify you of your clearance status before commencing your volunteer activities.
All individuals must attend annual Safe Environment training beginning one year from the date of their New Volunteer training (as described above). Training is then required annually for as long as the volunteer wishes to continue serving the parish. Failure to complete annual training may result in the suspension of an individual's volunteer activities.
Annual training may be completed by attending training at any parish within the Diocese of Dallas. A complete list, including dates and times, can be viewed by clicking here:
. If attending annual training at another parish, please obtain a certificate of completion and mail/deliver the certificate to the Safety Officer at Holy Family.
We have found the easiest way to complete annual training is to attend one of the many online options available through the
Diocese of Dallas
website and follow these simple directions:
- Just click on "A Safe Environment" near the top-middle of the page and you will be redirected to the Safe Environment page.
- Once there, click on the "Update Training" link on the left side of the page.
- Then choose any of the five options listed under "Update Training" on the left side of the page. Please do not repeat classes completed during previous years.
- Once completed, print and sign the self-administered test and the certificate of completion.
- Mail/deliver the signed and dated test, along with the signed certificate of competion, to the Safety Officer at Holy Family.
- Be sure to include your email address so a confirmation can be emailed to you once class credit is entered into your file.
Please contact the
should you have any questions or need to discuss other training options.